Next week 368 players from 16 different nations will descend on Poland & Ukraine to take part in Euro 2012. After finding a relevent dataset (and checking its accuracy), Philippa, part of the BIME team here in Montpellier, created a great dashboard exploring the makeup of the 368 players and 16 nations involved: Average age, most represented domestic leagues and club sides, international experience... As always with BIME dashboards, hover over data points to see the underlying numbers. In visualizations with 'exploded axis' such as the "League Representation by Position" visualization, viewers can click the different members to see data for each position. The images below are just screenshots, load the full dashboard in a new tab by clicking any of these images. Here are some facts we can draw from the dashboard:
• The English Leagues are the most represented at the tournament, 13 of the registered goalkeepers play their domestic football in England.[/one_third]
• The 23 players in the Sweden squad play for 22 different clubs (only Ola Toivonen & Andreas Isaksson play for the same club side, PSV Eindhoven).[/one_half_last]
• Spain have the most experienced squad at International level with 989 combined caps, Poland are the least experienced with 482. Germany however, have the most combined international goals 187, German striker Miroslav Klose has 63 of these.[/one_third]
• As well as being the least experienced with regards to international caps, Poland are also the youngest squad in the tournament with an average age of just over 25. In contrast the Russian squad is the oldest with an average age of 29.45.[/one_half_last]
• England are the only team with the entire 23 man squad selected from their own domestic league.[/one_third]
• Over 100 club sides have players at the tournament, German side Bayern Munich will be the most represented with 13 of their players selected.
View more BIME dashboards on our SHOWCASE PAGE and TRY OUT YOUR OWN DATA IN BIME WITH OUR 10 DAY FREE TRIAL